Qualitative Research: Why here?

A few days back, a young friend of mine Br Ishaq from Nigeria come all the from Tronoh (he's studying at UTP), to see me to ask some questions on qualitative research. I did give him a small help with his Master's research while I was at IIUM (full study leave). He did quantitative research then. Then, a dear sister-friend of mine, Sr Azeemah from Singapore, replied my email with some questions also on qualitative research. It was when I was replying to her, then I thought, why not I start a qualitative research blog, to share what I know and experience not just with them but also with others like them who are new to qualR. This is a sharing knowledge session. I'm don't regard myself as an expert, but I'll share what I know, and I hope also to learn from others through discussions that arises from it. So, help me God, the Most Knowing and the Owner of Knowledge.

Wassalam,
Khairiltitov
Taman Keramat
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Friday 9 April 2010

New book by Prof Sharan B Merriam

As some of you might know Prof Sharan in now in Malaysia (at the time of this post).  We met during the Annual General Meeting of the Qualitative Research Association Malaysia on April 4, 2010 which I attended (I'm a QRAM life member - No. 191). I was quite surprise but happy to have the opportunity to meet her in person.  This was the second time I met her.  The first first time was few years back, in one of the QRAM International Conference.  But I didn't have the chance to chat with her as there was so many people at the conference.  At the meeting someone (couldn't remember who, Dr Shamsuddin probably) mention about her latest book, Qualitative  Research: A guide to design and implementation (2009) published by Jossey-Bass, and there are copies sold here locally.  Today, I got it, for RM81.90, a paperback international edition.  No color just BW, gray scale only.  That good enough.  Yes I hope you guys, especially Ishaq & Azeemah, will try to get hold of this book as it will become the text (one of them), for this blog qualitative research discussion.  The book might be a little advance for those who are new to QualR, but knowing Sharan way of writing, it should be enlightening and easy to follow (I have not started reading it yet though).  I might follow the book topics (TOC), as the discussion guidelines for this blog. 

1 comment:

  1. assalamualaikum brother Titov, if you could rememeber me, Sila, one of Dr. Ismail's students in Advanced Qualitative class in sem 1, 2009. by the way, i m reading the book by Prof. Sharan and i find it quite easy to read and comprehend. i m trying to get the book for myself, since the one i m having is borrowed from the library. could you please suggest me where to get the book. thank you. wassalam.

    ReplyDelete